Sunday, April 12, 2015

Kerry Babysits

Hello future readers!

This past Tuesday Kerry came over to babysit me and Susan. I normally don't need a sitter, (man, I hate that it's called a BABYsitter!), because I can always go to my friends' houses on he weekend. But this was on a school night. My mom and Susan's parents went to a dinner party. My mom and Susan's mom work together at the Springfield Canning Company. They're in charge of getting the canned foods shipped out to different places. Anyway, one of their co-workers is moving away, so they had to go to this party. Susan's older sister, Cathy couldn't watch us, 'cos she had to go to the library to look up some information for a paper she had to do for school, so that left Kerry. I like Kerry. She was a groovy counselor at Camp Echo Hill, so I thought she'd be a good sitter, too. Well, Susan was coming over at 4:30, so when I got home from school, I did all my homework right away. We wanted to play for awhile before Kerry came over at 6:15.



I ran to answer the door when Susan rang the bell at 4:30. We couldn't wait to start having fun!



We went outside to play helicopter. In case you don't play that game in the future, it's when you hold a jump rope by the end, bend down and spin slowly around in a circle, letting the rope drag on the ground. The other person has to jump over the rope as it passes them. Susan really likes this game, so I spun the rope so she could jump.



After a while, we came back inside, 'cos it was almost time for "Zoom"! (I talked about that show on my "Snail Hopscotch" entry) I brought the bean bag chair down from my room and put it in the TV room, and Susan flipped on the set. We love this show!


Our show was almost over when I heard Mom let Kerry in. She told Kerry she had to go, but she left a note with instructions on the kitchen table.




Kerry found us in the TV room just as Zoom was ending. We were glad to see her.



She told us to go wash our hands while she got dinner on the table. My mom bought some frozen TV dinners and put them in the oven before she went out. This was a treat, 'cos my mom doesn't usually buy TV dinners. She likes me to eat home cooking, but she lets me have them every once in awhile. And she even got my favorite kind; salisbury steak, potato wedges, peas and cherry cobbler for dessert! Far out!









I asked Kerry if she was gonna eat with us, but she ate at Sam's Snack Shack before she got here. Lucky! She told us to enjoy our dinner, and that she'd be right back, 'cos she had to make a phone call.  So Susan and I kept eating and talking. Now I wasn't trying to listen in on Kerry's conversation, I really wasn't, but I heard her say the name Artie. I think he's Kerry's boyfriend. Raychel's brother Randy says he's some big shot player for Springfield High School's basketball team. Once when I was in the park with my mom, I saw Kerry walking hand in hand with a tall boy. I think that must have been Artie. I don't know what came over me, but all of a sudden I got very curious. I wanted to hear what teenagers talk about. I know I'm not supposed to listen to other people phone calls, but I wondered if Kerry went all goofy over boys, like Marsha Brady does on 'The Brady Bunch". I asked Susan if she wanted to listen, just for a minute. She got this funny smile on her face and nodded. We were finished with our dinner anyway, so we threw away our trays, put our cups and forks in the sink, and went towards the TV room. We peeked around the hallway door so we could hear better. Kerry couldn't see us, so as long as we were quiet, she wouldn't find out.





We think they were talking about their date Saturday night. It sounded like they were going to the movies. It also sounded like they didn't care what movie they were gonna see because they'd be kissing the whole time anyway! Ewwwww! Susan covered her mouth to keep from laughing out loud! Then Kerry said, "I think you're the grooviest guy I've ever met, Artie. I love you, too!" It was my turn to cover my mouth! I almost started cracking up, so I had to hold my breath! Yep, just like Marsha Brady! Man, are teenagers ever mushy! I hope I'm not like that when I get older! Well, Kerry hung up, so I asked Susan to go up to my room while I went to the TV room to get my bean bag chair. I invited Kerry to come upstairs to check out my room. She'd never seen it before.



Kerry liked my room. She liked the way I had decked it out with posters and stuff. I turned on my radio, and we rapped awhile. We talked about camp, and what going to high school is like, and stuff like that.



Kerry suggested we all play a game, so I got out my "Barrel Full of Monkeys" game and we all played in the living room.




We played until bedtime. Of course, Kerry was better at linking the monkeys than we were. Susan and I went back up to my room and got our pajamas on. Then Kerry came up and read a couple of chapters of "Harriet The Spy".





Kerry read the chapter where Ole Golly and her friend take Harriet to the movies and her parents fire her! Wow! Just for taking her to the movies? I thought that was so mean! While Kerry read the next chapter, Susan fell asleep, then I did. I love to be read to. "Harriet The Spy" is such a good story. But I'm glad I don't need to have a nanny like Ole Golly. Kerry's a good sitter, but I'd be sad if I had to spend most of my time with her, and not my mom..



I guess Susan's parents picked her up when they came back, because when I woke up to go to the bathroom, she was gone. I had fun with Kerry. I wonder if kids still need sitters in the future. Maybe they have robots who watch kids when parents go out. I don't think I'd want a robot watching me. And even though I hardly ever need a sitter, I hope Kerry comes back to sit for me again, soon



Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

23 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and Raychel had fun, Julie! That helicopter game sounds really cool, I've never heard of it before. I guess that means kids don't play it in the future, which is really too bad.
    Kerry sounds like a groovy baby (or "kid") sitter! I know I would like her a lot. Nowadays in the future, we still have sitters. In fact, a lot of times kids have to take classes on how to babysit-I had to take one before, and I didn't really like it. Oh well!
    *Sunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh whoops, I meant Susan, not Raychel! Hahaha!!
      *Sunny

      Delete
    2. Really? Teenagers have to take classes to learn how to babysit? Wow, I thought that stuff came naturally when you were a teenager!

      Delete
    3. Well Susan and Raychel do look a lot alike. Some people think they're sisters. Their dads do work together, and since they moved back to Springfield, their families share a duplex. Just remember, Raychel has red hair and Susan has brown hair.

      Delete
  2. "Zoom zoom zooma zoom, we're gonna zooma zooma zooma zoom!" --watched that show all the time! Wishing I had some TV dinners around tonight so I didn't have to cook. Looks like you had a fun time with Susan and Kerry. I've never heard of Helicopter either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Zoom is a super show! My friends and I like doing some of the same things they do on the show, like playing Concentration, speaking Ubbi-Dubbi, and once Stephanie even made stained-glass cookies! She says it's pretty messy, but it was lotsa fun!

      Hmmm...too bad you don't have helicopter in the future, it's a fun way to play jump rope!

      Delete
  3. Hi Julie,
    Speaking of jump rope, do you ever play the alphabet game - "A, my name is Anna and my husband's name is Adam and we come from Alabama to sell apples"? The next person has to think of a girl's name, a boy's name, a location and something to sell all beginning with the letter B and so on.
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fawn,

      Actually we play that game with a ball. You bounce the ball next to you, and every time you get the the letter or something that begins with that letter, you bounce it under your leg. Then you pass the ball to the next person. If anyone misses the ball, then the next person takes their letter.

      Delete
  4. Really enjoyed your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Far out! So nice of your mom to get your favorite TV dinners. Looks like you had a practically perfect evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Winter!

      Susan and I had a groovy time! Kerry's pretty nice, and I love TV dinners!

      Delete
  6. Molly: huh I have never heard of helicopter! But I have played a version of it before! My sisters and I call it twist. A lot of the time I get to eat TV dinner while mom is at work. My sister harriett who is older is in charge. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like it when your sister has to watch you? I guess I'd rather have my mom watching me, but I don't have any brothers or sisters.

      Delete
    2. Molly: Harriett is only half a year older but she acts like she's twenty! Isabelle and I have way more fun being kids than harriett does trying to act grown up!

      Delete
  7. AWESOME! Xyra here - this is almost exactly what would happen when I had a baby sitter come over. TV dinners rock! Salisbury Steak was one of my favorites. My top favorite was fried chicken with the mashed potatoes, corn and brownie. Also loved watching Zoom and the Electric Company. Zoom is where I first heard about "sassies" or SASE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fried chicken one was my favorite too! (I love your tv dinner, Julie!)

      Delete
    2. The fried chicken dinner is OK, but I like my mom's chicken better!

      Delete
    3. Sadly, of all the awesome things my mom made (tuna noodle casserole and Girl Scout Supper), fried chicken was not one of them. So Kentucky Fried Chicken (now called KFC) and the TV dinner kind were treats.

      Delete
    4. I know, right. Tuna casserole is awesome.

      Delete
  8. I nominated you for the Good Friend Blog Award! Check out my post at http://agatticgirls.blogspot.com for you questions. You make such cute photostories!

    ReplyDelete