Sunday, December 13, 2015

Here We Come A-Caroling!

Hello future readers,

We've been practicing at school for our annual Christmas concert. Last week when I was watching Christmas specials, and I saw people walking from house to house caroling, I thought we should do that too! It would be a good way to get in some practice and have fun at the same time! Some of my friends thought that this was a groovy idea, too. So yesterday Sunny and I walked down to Kerry and Velvet's house to meet up some of our friends.



It had been raining here in Springfield for the last few days, and I'm glad it stopped long enough for us to go Christmas caroling. I had never done this before and I was pretty excited! When we got the Kerry and Velvet's house,  Danny, Jason, Kyle, Raychel, Bridget and Lisa were all waiting for us.





Jason knocked on the door, and as soon as Kerry opened it, we started singing "Jingle Bells".





Kerry and little Velvet were so surprised! Velvet started singing along with us.


They wished all of us a Merry Christmas, and we all walked to our next stop, Miss :LaSalle's house. This time Sunny knocked on the door.



When Miss LaSalle answered the door, we all started singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".



I thought it was kinda funny that both Sunny and Miss LaSalle were wearing purple tams and purple jackets!



Miss LaSalle told us we did very well, and she hoped we sang as well for our Christmas concert at school.  She wished us all a Merry Christmas and told us she'd see us on Monday. Next we went to Mrs. Johnson's house, and it was my turn to knock on the door.



When Mrs. Johnson opened the door, we sang "Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire".



A couple of years ago, Mrs. Johnson was our Music teacher at school. I know she sometimes misses it, especially during Christmas. She was always the one who got us ready for the concerts, and led the singing in assembly at school.  She looked like she was gonna cry when we finished. She told us she was really proud of us, and couldn't wait for our Christmas concert! Even though I love Miss LaSalle,  Mrs. Johnson is pretty far out, too.



Our last stop was Mrs. Taylor's house. We didn't tell her we'd be practicing some of our songs this way, and we knew she'd be surprised. Bridget knocked on her door, and even before she opened it, we began singing "The First Noel".




And man, was she ever surprised! She thought this was a wonderful way to practice our songs. She told us we were doing very well, and that if we sang this good at the concert, it was gonna be a smash. We all cheered!


Well, the clouds were coming back, so we decided it was time to go one home. It was nearly dinner time, anyway. But Mrs. Taylor wanted to take our picture before we left.


I had so much fun! Do people in the future still go caroling? If you don't, you should try it! It's really outta site! I love any reason to sing Christmas carols! It just makes me feel all groovy inside! Christmas is my very favorite holiday! I hope it's yours too!



Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

17 comments:

  1. Julie, people still go caroling in the future. Some traditions will never change. Do you have a Nutcracker ballet performance near you? My sisters and I are in one in the future.

    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good to know. Caroling is so much fun! Yes, my class takes a field trip every year to the Springfield auditorium to see The Nutcracker. It's groovy that you get to be in that!

      Delete
    2. It's a lot of fun. All of my friends and I love doing it every year. This year one of my friends is Clara.
      What is your favorite part of the Nutcracker?
      Melodie

      Delete
    3. I think I like the dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy the best. The boys like the Mouse King.

      Delete
    4. The Sugar Plum is gorgeous. This year my friend is doing it for our Children's Company show. She is so excited.
      The Mouse King is cool, too. We have a Mouse Queen, because we don't have many boys.
      When do you start Christmas vacation from school? All my classes are over, but I have some work to do before Chrostmas.
      Melodie

      Delete
    5. We're out of school the last 2 weeks in December, and go back to school the first Monday after New Year's Day.

      Delete
    6. Fun. Schools here only had a half day.
      What are some f your favorite movies? We are going to the movies tomorrow for my sister's birthday.
      Melodie

      Delete
    7. Sorry, I meant to say what are some of your favorite movies. I forgot an o
      Melodie

      Delete
    8. *From Julie's doll mom:*

      Click on Julie's profile to see all her favorite movies.

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie,
    Yes, caroling is still a fun tradition in the future. We go with our church choir to a nursing home and the folks there really enjoy the visit. We also read them Christmas story from the Bible.
    Joy to the World!
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun.

      Delete
    2. Outta site! My mom says she went caroling for the grandmas and grandpas in a nursing home when she was in the Girl Scouts at Christmas time!

      Delete
  3. This was one of my favorite things to do when I was a kid, we went lots of different places. Looks like you and your friends had as much fun as we did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really lotsa fun! But I think we shoulda planned it better, like someone's house to go to for hot cocoa and cookies afterwards! But since we did this in the afternoon, we had to go home for dinner.

      Delete
  4. OH! I love caroling door to door. No one hardly ever does this anymore Julie. I'm glad you stopped at your teacher's houses. I know they really appreciated hearing you all singing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's too bad, because it's really far out! I know all of our teachers loved it. And I think we probably did better than at school because we were just having fun!

      Delete
  5. That was the name of our Sunday school Christmas pageant this year. Here We Come A-Caroling: Jesus is the Reason for the Season. It was great we learned a lot about carol history and the difference between carols and songs and also about our church history. We're celebrating 285 years. :)

    Not many people go caroling in our area, but may sing songs and carols at parties. Xyra told us about caroling parties she went to while in college. They had lots of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete