Saturday, August 6, 2016

It's Not Summer Without a Trip to the Drive-In Movie!

Hello future readers!

I'm glad to be back home in Springfield. I missed all of my friends. And I was really glad yesterday when my mom told me I could invite one of my friends to go to the Drive-In movie with us! Outta site! So I called up my friend Bridget, and her mom said she could go. So after dinner, my mom and I picked her up and we drove out there. I couldn't wait to see what movie was playing! Bridget was really excited too! She hadn't been to a Drive-In movie in a long time!




We drove past the marquee, and saw that a Tarzan movie was playing. Groovy! I think it was the same Tarzan movie that was at the movie house last year. I wonder if the boys had seen it.




Mom paid the admission and we looked for a good spot. We always like to park in the middle, and not behind any vans or pick-ups, so we can have a real good view. I was glad we got there a little early, so Bridget and I could go to the snack bar.  The snack bar shorts were still playing, so we had some time. The dancing hot dogs are so funny!




My mom gave us a dollar each, and we went to the snack bar. There are lots of yummy things to eat there. Since we both just finished dinner, we just got popcorn and soda.




On the way back to the car, we ran into Shante' and Susan, who were headed for the snack bar. Shante's mom had brought them here too!








We all agreed to meet up tomorrow and talk about the movie. Bridget and I went back to the car, and got cozy under a blanket in the back seat.  After a bunch of previews (one of them was Dr. E!), the movie started.






It was a pretty good movie. It was all about this photographer and went out on safari. But he got lost in the jungle. Right when he was about to be attacked by a giant snake, Tarzan saved him. Tarzan invited the man to come and stay with him for a while. The man wanted Tarzan to go back to civilization with him, but Tarzan wouldn't go. Here are some scenes from the movie:






Bridget was scared of the gorilla. My mom said it was probably just a man in a costume, but he looked pretty real!










I almost dropped my popcorn when I saw that snake. Man was he ever big!






We started talking about if the snake was going to eat the photographer. My mom told us to pipe down and watch the movie.








We were glad Tarzan saved the man from that horrible snake! It was a really good movie, but a really long one, and I think we both fell asleep right before the end.




Even though we missed the end of the movie, I'm still glad we went. Drive-ins are really far-out, and my mom and I go at least once every summer. Even though  you have computers and weird space age stuff in the future, I hope you still have Drive-in movies. It just wouldn't be summer time without them!

Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

12 comments:

  1. There are still drive-ins in the future, but not many of them. A lot of the ones that were here when I was a kid are gone now. Instead, they built giant movie theaters with several rooms and each room shows a different movie. They call them multi-plexes. They have fantastic sound systems though, so for some movies, it feels like you are there. It's fun but not quite the same as going to a drive-in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, that's too bad. Those newer theatres might be nice, but nothing beats snuggling under a blanket in the back seat watching a movie. Unless it's watching from the back of a pick-up truck parked backwards in lawn chairs. I've seen some people do that. It looks like fun!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog. It just makes me smile every time I read it. I was born in 1972 and so so much of it resonates for me. Thanks for writing it! Love your photos. Have a wonderful day! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *From Julie's doll mom, Sharry:*

      Hi Heather, so glad you're enjoying this blog. Please "play the game" and make all comments on the main page to Julie herself. If you want to send a message to me, her doll mom, please go to "My Mom's Page". Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Hi Julie,
    Your story really took me back to my childhood trips to the Silver Drive-In with my parents. Some of the movies I remember were "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" starring Debbie Reynolds, "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" (I was in love with the youngest brother,Gideon), "Genghis Khan" starring Omar Sharif and "The Longest Day" with John Wayne. That drive-In is still operating in my hometown but the area surrounding it has become so commercialized that there is too much light at night from the local businesses. In 2016 we no longer use the speakers that fit on the window, but instead hear the story through the car radio on an AM station.
    Your future friend,
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't drive-in movies the grooviest? I wish they could be opened all year 'round, instead of just summertime. It sounds like you saw a lot of movies, but I've never heard of them. It's great there's still a drive-in near you. We actually have that same set-up with the AM radio, since (as you can see from the picture), there are no speakers in our drive-in either. I guess that's a good thing, because my mom says in some drive-ins, sometimes people forget the speaker is hanging in the window, and then drive off and break it!

      Delete
  4. It looks like you had a lot of fun with Bridget. We don't have any drive-ins near our house, and they are rather rare. In the future we can rent movies and watch them at home, where we can snuggle under blankets.

    When does school start for you? In our town in the future, we start this week.

    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome! I love the drive-in. I remember going to one when I was a little girl. My mom would put me and my brother in our pajamas. There is still a drive-in we go to in San Luis Obispo. It is a blast. It is always a double feature. Our kids love it! Thanks for sharing Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outta site! It's nice to know that some of your future readers have drive-in movies. You wore your jammies? I guess that's a pretty good idea, if you parents couldn't wake you up. My mom always wakes me up to go in the house, put on my jammies and brush my teeth.

      Delete
  6. That's awesome!
    Xyra remembers going to the drive in that was in Quakertown when she was little. We've never been to one because there isn't one very close to us anymore. We do love going to The Grand Theater to watch movies. It's a really nice place. We get to see that same dancing hot dog sometimes. Depends on the movie. Most of the time we get a lady pretending to be a grandma telling us how we should behave. She's really funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like going to the movie house too, but there's just something more special about the drive-in. I remember one time, my mom and I packed some chicken, biscuits and fruit and had dinner in the car while we watched the movie cuddled up under the blanket. It was really fun!

      Delete