Sunday, August 2, 2015

A (Little) Friend In Need

Hello future readers,

Yesterday I was riding my bike to Sam's Snack Shack to meet Robyn and Jennifer. I passed by Danny's house, and saw little Michael riding his tricycle in the driveway all by himself.


I stopped to say hello and asked him why he was out here all alone. He had this sad look on his face when told me that Danny said that he couldn't play action guys with him and the other boys, and kicked him outta his room!





I couldn't believe my ears! Danny's usually a pretty nice guy, so I wondered why he was being so creepy to his little cousin. I asked Michael if he wanted me to talk to Danny. He said OK, but he didn't think it would do any good. So I took him by the hand, and we went inside and up to Danny's room.





When we got upstairs, we found the guys sitting around playing with their G.I.Joes.


Danny got kinda mad at me, 'cos I barged in his room without knocking. I told him I had a good reason for barging in. I demanded to know why he was being so mean to Michael and why couldn't he play with them.



Danny told me that every time they let Michael play, all he wants to do is jump on the bed, and he makes his action guy jump all over the other guys when he's not supposed to and always wants to make G.I. Joe go to Kindergarten and take a nap! I started laughing!





Only the boys didn't think it was funny, because Michael had been doing this all week and they were sick of it. I said that they should give him a break, 'cos he's only 5 and he's just visiting. Danny said he did play the stuff Michael wanted to sometimes, but this time, he wanted just to play with Jason and Kyle and not play little kid's games. Well, I did understand that, but I didn't want Michael's feelings to be hurt either.






So I said that I could take Michael to hang out with me for a little while. Of course the boys thought that was a super idea. We went downstairs and I asked Danny's mom if I could take Michael to Sam's with me. She told me that was very nice of me. Michael and Danny had been fighting all week, and that it was a good idea if  Michael could play with someone else for a while. So Michael and I rode off to Sam's together.



When we got to Sam's, Robyn and Jennifer were surprised to see me walk in with Danny's little cousin.



I explained what happened with Danny and the other boys, and they were only too happy to make a fuss over Michael, making him feel like he was a big deal. I think Michael was grooving on all the attention!




I used part of my extra chores money to buy Michael some ice-cream. He sure is a messy eater! But it made me feel good to see him so happy. Well, my mom always says ice-cream makes everything better!





After he finished his ice-cream, Michael wanted to try the pinball machine. I didn't have any more money, so Jennifer gave Michael a quarter. Aww...that was really sweet of her. Michael really had no idea how to play, but he liked the lights and ringing of the machine.


We all had a really groovy time. I was glad Michael got to hang out with me, 'cos he was leaving in a couple of days. It's too bad Velvet was visiting her cousins in Arizona, or she would have loved playing with Michael. Maybe they can get together the next time Michael visits. I know Danny really does love Michael, but I guess little kids can drive you bananas sometimes. And Michael doesn't mean to bug Danny, he's just little, that's all, and doesn't know he's being a pest. If I had a little brother or sister, I guess I'd want someone to give me a break from them sometimes, too. I suppose I helped 2 friends in need yesterday, both Michael and Danny. And I'm sure Danny's mom appreciated some peace and quiet. So that's 3 friends I helped. Well, I'm glad I could do it. I'll miss little Michael, and I know Danny's gonna miss him too, (but he'll never admit it!).



Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

15 comments:

  1. Awww, that was so nice of you to take Michael for ice cream! I bet he will always remember that. Will he be coming to visit again sometime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I hope so. I'm not so sure about Danny though! *giggle* I hope he remembers me. He's a pretty groovy little kid!

      Delete
  2. Julie, you are such a sweetheart! It is tough being a kid. Little Michael will have to learn to respect other people's things and how to be a proper guest in someone else's home. Danny will have to learn patience and how to be a proper host. Growing up is very complicated. I am glad I'm a grown-up, however even now, I still find it difficult to get long with some people. Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny...when Michael told me that Danny was being mean, I was all set to give him the business! But then when I heard his side, I could see where he was coming from. Yeah, it's tough to know how to handle stuff when you're a kid, and it really stinks when grown-ups don't listen to your side. My mom tries to listen, but sometimes she gets frustrated too. I guess people never stop learning how to act like a grown-up, (even when you ARE a grown-up!).

      Delete
  3. Wow. You were so sweet to give Danny a break. I have four younger sisters, the youngest being 5, and I know how it can be hard to have them around all the time.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a big family! I guess it was hard for Danny having to deal with a little kid sleeping in his room, messing with his things. I get that 'cos I'm an only child too. I guess that's why it was easier for me to give Danny a break, 'cos I didn't have to deal with Michael all week. I might not have thought he was so cute if he jumped on my bed or messed up my games!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I do have a big family.
      What are you looking forward to when school starts back? I look forward to dance, theater, and cheerleading.
      Melodie

      Delete
    3. I love Baton Club, Music class and Art class. And I really miss my teacher Miss LaSalle.

      Delete
    4. Baton Club sounds like a lot of fun. Who do you perform for? Music and art are also a lot of fun.
      What is your favorite subject in school? Mine is math.
      Melodie

      Delete
  4. Julie, You were so nice to both Danny and Michael! I think you are a very understanding person. You found a great solution for everybody. I agree with your mom--ice cream does make everything better (and everyone happy!) I bet your mom was proud of you for being so kind; and you should be proud of yourself, too.

    Keep having a fun summer!

    --Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice! My mom was pretty proud of me. In fact, she even gave me some extra pocket money to replace what I spent on Michael.

      Delete
  5. I love your bike. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom bought it for me.

      *From Julie's doll mom:*

      To ask me question, click on "My Mom's Page".

      Delete
    2. How cool. Do you or any of your friends have scooters? I do, and they are a lot of fun.

      Delete
    3. Yes, Stephanie and Melody have a homemade scooter Stephanie's dad made for them. But the rest of us just have bikes, skateboards and roller skates.

      Delete