Sunday, August 23, 2015

A Day at Camp Wilderness/Last Day of Camp

Hello future readers,

For our last day of camp, Doug and Kerry decided that the Yellow Canaries, (my cabin), should spend a day with the boys from the Trailblazers cabin at Camp Wilderness (that's Danny, Jason, Kyle and Kevin). So after lunch, we walked over to the far side of the lake and over the bridge that connects the 2 camps. When we got there, the guys were waiting on the main field for us.



Camp Wilderness is set up differently than our camp. Camp Echo Hill is for girls ages 6-10 years old.  Kerry's little sister Velvet is one of the younger campers. Their cabins are the Ladybugs, Bumblebees, and the Grasshoppers. When you get to be 8 years old, you can move to our section of camp which has the Red Robins, Blue Jays and Yellow Canaries. But here at Camp Wilderness, it's for boys from 8-14 years old. If your age 8-11, you sleep in a cabin, like the Trailblazers do. (and the Explorers and Adventurers).  But when you turn 11, you move up to a tent. (like the Eagles, Wolves and Bears) I don't know how I'd feel if that's how we did it. Camp Echo Hill campers all sleep in cabins. I think I'd like a tent for 2 or 3 days, but not 2 weeks!

Anyway, the boys suggested we play a little baseball, and Jason ran back to their cabin to get their stuff. Now sports is really not my scene. The Olympics were OK, and I was only signed up for one event, but all I know about baseball is that it's a lot like kickball. In fact the only one of us who knows how to play baseball is Raychel (and that's 'cos she has a big brother). Danny told us all where to stand and we got the game started.















None of us girls had any gear, but we still had a pretty groovy time, even though some of us goofed up on the rules!  When we were tired of playing baseball, the boys took us to their Rec Hall.



It's a lot like our Rec Hall, but instead of a stage, they have a pool table, and a lot of posters of things boys like; sports, monster moves, cars, stuff like that.

Raychel and Danny played Perfection:



Jason and I played Booby Trap. (hey, like at Lisa's house!):



Kyle and Lisa were playing ping-pong:



And Kevin was teaching Shante' how to shoot pool.



We played games and rapped for a couple of hours and then it was time for dinner. We walked to the Dining Hall and the Camp Wilderness cook had prepared a great feast for us! There was barbecued chicken, ribs, 3 kinds of baked potatoes and salad! Outta site!



Before we ate we all sang "Johnny Appleseed" as grace:






"The Lord is good to me, and so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need, the sun  and the rain
And the apple seed, the Lord is good to me,
*shouted* JOHNNY APPLESEED! AMEN!"

Then we dug in! Man was it good! I wish the cook at Camp Echo Hill could cook like this! Danny told me they don't normally eat like this. It was just because we were visiting. Hey...maybe we should visit the boys' camp more often!



















After dinner, we ate ice-cream, and sang the "Chick-a-Boom" song. It was so funny! Especially the parts about the squeaky voices and singing underwater! When we were all done singing, us girls had to go back to Camp Echo Hill. We all had to pack and turn in early, 'cos the buses would be here at 10a.m. to pick us up. The boys were staying a few more days. I'll bet they'll miss us!

Camp has been super-groovy this year, future readers! I really had a dynamite time! We did so many outta site things! And I won 2 medals! Too much! If you still go to camp in the future, I hope you had just as good a time as I did.  My next entry will be from back home in Springfield.

Until then, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

23 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had so much fun at camp this year. And that dinner does look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking about that dinner with some of the other girls this morning at breakfast, and we they ever jealous! It sure beat the heck outta the burgers, pizza, hot dogs, tacos and fish sticks we've been getting here! Camp has been a groove, but I really miss my mom and Boomer! And it'll be good to sleep in a real bed tonight!

      Delete
  2. Too bad camp is over. I always feel sad when I finish camp. My camps are always so close to my house, so I don't stay overnight.

    When does school start back for you. This is my third week.

    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you mean day camp, I went to that once when I was younger. And we don't start school until after Labor Day. You guys sure start early in the future!

      Delete
    2. I believe it is just my state that starts early. I have friends who started today in a different state.

      Day camp is a lot of fun. I go to drama and theater camps, and I have a great time.

      Melodie

      Delete
  3. Hi Julie,
    Your camp stories are so good it is like actually being there. For those of us from the 1970s, it is a trip down memory lane. Your BBQ dinner looks yummy. Food always tastes best when shared with friends. Thanks for taking your future friends along to camp.
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fawn,

      I've had a really groovy time, and I'm so glad I could remind you of some good memories.

      Delete
  4. Wow. Looks like fun. Are you sad camp is over, or are you happy to go home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy to be home now, but I'm gonna miss the good time I had this summer at Camp Echo Hill.

      Delete
    2. That's how I feel about leaving my camp, too.
      Thanks for letting us see how much fun you camp is.

      Delete
  5. Wow your camp food looks great! I hope it cheered you up since it was your last day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though camp was a lotta fun, I was looking forward to coming home. And yes, that food was dynamite!

      Delete
  6. I bet that food tasted great after a day of fresh air. I like the Banana Splits t shirt! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *giggle* You mean 2 weeks of fresh air! Yeah, playing outside always makes me hungry. I like Kevin's shirt too. His last name is Fleagle, so it's only right that he wear a Banana Splits Fleagle shirt!

      Delete
  7. Xyra was singing Boom-Chicka-Boom the other day. I couldn't figure out what she was doing, but she was having fun. She also looked confused until she read this post - it was an a-ha moment remembering that the verses were different voices. She was wondering if you knew the Washington Waddle or I'm a Ford.

    Dinner looks super tasty! Especially the red beet/pickled eggs. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red beet pickled eggs? I hope you're just putting me on! Blecch!

      So people still sing the Chicka Boom song in the future, huh? Groovy! I don't know the Washington Waddle, but I'm A Ford almost sounds like "I'm Just a Little Piece of Tin", only in that one, there's a line that says, "I'm not a Ford".

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! The eggs on your salad remind me of red beet eggs.

      Not sure if everyone sings chicka boom or just Xyra. LOL

      Could be similar with a word change. Refrain goes - I'm a ford oh I'm a Ford honk, honk, rattle, rattle, crash, beep beep.

      Delete
    3. There is a third rattle in there. :)

      Delete
    4. Hmmm...I don't know what you're seeing in the picture of the food, but there aren't any eggs in that salad. Just onions (which I picked out), tomatoes and croutons, (had to ask my mom how to spell that!). And the way I learned "I'm Just A Little Piece Of Tin" is this:

      "I'm just a little piece of tin,
      Nobody knows what shape I'm in
      I got 4 wheels and a working horn
      I'm not a Chevy and I'm not a Ford
      Honk honk rattle rattle rattle CRASH Beep Beep!"

      Delete
    5. Hahahahahaha! Yes! the red onion around the tomato or crouton kind of resembles a halved red beet/pickled egg. My eyes were playing tricks on me. Maybe that indicates a craving...we do like pickled eggs. So if we're ever at a picnic together feel free to pass them our direction. And we can have an onion flicking contest - we don't like those either.

      That is exactly the song with some words changed. :-D

      Delete
  8. Happy Labor Day weekend. Do you go to school Tuesday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, actually, we're not starting school until September 21st.

      Delete
    2. Wow! That's late. When do you get out for summer vacation?

      Delete