Thursday, August 13, 2015

Getting Ready for the Talent Show

Hello future readers!

You wanna hear something funny? When I'm at camp, I never really unpack all of my things; I just kinda take stuff out as I need it. (mostly because I'm kinda lazy, and partly because I don't wanna lose anything). Yesterday at breakfast, Susan comes running up to me and says she found her baton and baton shirt at the bottom of her duffel bag. Her mom knew about the Talent Show from the camp letter all the parents get in the mail, and packed them for her, just in case. Now, you might remember that my mom works with Susan's mom, so I wondered if my mom did the same thing. After breakfast, I went back to our cabin and unpacked all my stuff. Guess what? I found my baton and baton shirt, too! Outta site! I must have the world's most dynamite mom! (Ok, Susan does too!) So now I know what I'm doing, (with Susan) for the talent show! Far out!

So later that day during free time, a bunch of us were in the Rec Hall.



Stephanie and Shante' were playing ping-pong.



Robyn and Cheryl were playing Hungry Hungry Hippos.



Lisa and Melody were playing Trouble.



While Susan, Raychel and I were in the "cozy corner" rapping about the Talent Show.


Me and Susan knew we were doing a baton routine, but what were we gonna do about music? I didn't bring my tape recorder this year, because I needed to buy new batteries for it. Raychel was having pretty much the same problem. She wanted to sing "Day By Day" from the movie "Godspell". (She must have seen it about 6 times, already), but she thought it would be better with music. Kerry was walking around the Rec Hall, just to make sure everyone was getting along, when we told her our problem.



She smiled and said she may have something that would help us, and left to get it. Almost at the same time, I saw Kyle and Kevin come into the Rec Hall. The Talent Show was an activity we were doing with Camp Wilderness, and it was gonna be held in our Rec Hall. (the boys Rec Hall doesn't have a stage).  They climbed on the stage, and I guess they were checking stuff out.





So I walked over to say Hi, and ask what they were doing. Kevin told me he wanted to make sure there was enough room for a music stand on the stage. I asked him what he needed a music stand for. Kyle just winked at Kevin, and said to me "You'll just have to wait and see." "Fine", I said. "Keep your secret, I like surprises, anyway." Boys! Why does everything always have to be such a big secret?




Then I hear Raychel calling my name, so I went back over to the "cozy corner". Susan was holding a big box in her lap. She said that Kerry had brought over a box of cassette tapes while I was over talking to the boys. She said we could go through them and borrow her tape recorder for the Talent Show! Outta site!





We looked through the box, and Raychel found a cassette marked "Godspell soundtrack". Wow! I guess Kerry likes that movie as much as Raychel!


Susan and I went through some more tapes, and I pulled out one marked "Bee Gees-Main Course". Yay! That's the album Mrs. Taylor used for our Baton Club at school! We had music for the Talent Show!



Gotta go now, future readers. We have to go practice!

Until next time,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

13 comments:

  1. Neato! I hope all goes well with the talent show practices and final production!
    ~Melody, et al.

    Hey, Julie's mom! I found a groovy store today with outfits that looked like they would be great for Julie and her friends. https://www.etsy.com/shop/AmericanDollClothes?section_id=16963358&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2
    ~Xyra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *From Julie's doll mom:*

      Thanks for thnking of us Xyra and Melody! I've purchased several swimsuits from that shop.

      Delete
  2. Hey Julie,
    Looks like your plans are coming together nicely. I wonder what the boys have up their sleeves. Hummm!!
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fawn,

      Did Kevin tell you what he's doing for the Talent Show? Or did he make you promise not to tell?

      Delete
    2. It's gonna be a surprise but I can give you one little clue - it is going to be heavenly.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you are ready. So glad Kerry had what you needed. Can't wait to see the routine.
    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, me too! We'd look pretty dopey trying to do a baton routine with no music!

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I guess baton twirling is like dance. You need music to really dance, because you would look silly otherwise.
      I can't wait to see what everyone does.
      Melodie

      Delete
  4. Sounds like everything is coming together, so cool that your mom and Susan's mom did that! Can't wait to see your performance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your moms are the best, packing your baton stuff for you and Susan! And I love all the songs from Godspell too! Looking forward to hearing about your performance.
    *Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you need a counselor to join you for the baton routine, I'll be right over!

    ReplyDelete