Sunday, August 20, 2017

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho....It's Off To Camp We Go!

Hello future readers!

Today was the big day! The buses picked us up at 11a.m. in front of the community center for the long ride to camp. Cheryl, Lisa, Kim, Jennifer, Stephanie, me, Robyn and Melody were on the first bus, while Sunny, Wendy, April, Susan, Raychel, Shante' and Bridget were on the second bus.






















Long bus rides can be pretty boring, so we kept ourselves busy rapping, singing camp songs, reading magazines, and I think Raychel told me she took a nap on the way here, (though I don't know how anybody could sleep bumping along that mountain road). Anyway, our bus arrived first, and there was Kerry there to greet us! Yay! Camp was officially about to start!




She told us to take our bags up to the Dining Hall where we could eat lunch and get our cabin assignments.




Lunch was really yummy...hamburgers, corn on the cob and good ole bug juice (cherry flavored). Kerry made the usual announcements about bathroom buddies, not going to the lake alone, cleaning up after ourselves and listening to counselors.











We noticed as she was making the announcements that there wasn't a sign-up for anything this year.  Last year we had the play, and the year before the Talent Show and Inter Camp Olympics....strange. Hmmm...I wondered if we'd be going on another backpacking trip.




Kerry told us after we finished eating we could check the list for the cabin assignments and go get unpacked. Of course everyone rushed up at once. I hate being pushed around, so I was glad some of us decided to wait.



Outta site! I was a Red Robin again! And so was Sunny!



"Hey Julie! We're in the same cabin this year!", Jennifer told me. "Isn't that groovy?"
"Yeah! Hey Stephanie! You're a Red Robin too!" I said.  "C'mon, let's get our gear and walk up together. Sunny can meet us up there."

So we got our bags and walked to our cabin I was glad to be in the Red Robins again, mostly because that cabin is closest to the bathroom. Last year I was in the Purple Peacocks, the newest cabin, and the one farthest away from the bathroom. A couple of times I couldn't hold it, and I went to the bathroom in the Dining Hall. *groan* Sunny caught up with us and we got busy unpacking.











When we were all finished, I pulled out my tape recorder.....





"Hey, you guys wanna go to the Rec Hall? I could ask Kerry if I can play some tapes while we hang out."


"I'm in!"


"Me too!"


"OK, let's go!"


We walked to the Rec Hall. When we walked in, we could see some of the girls were already there, playing board games, and ping-pong and just rapping in the Cozy Corner.












Kerry was making sure everyone was holding it together.



Stephanie and I waved Hi to Kerry, and Sunny and Jennifer got a board game out of the closet.






"Kerry, can I please play my tape recorder?"
"Sure Julie, as long as you don't play it too loud."
"Thanks."






Sunny and Jennifer played Booby Trap while Steph and me sat down on the stage to rap and listen to my music.



"Hey Julie, you've got some groovy tunes. I'm glad your mom let you bring your tape recorder."
"Thanks, I am too. Say Steph, isn't it weird we don't have a special activity this year?"
"Yeah it is......I wonder what happened?"
"I dunno..."
You know how some ideas just pop into your head? Well, listening to my tapes gave me a great idea!
"Stephanie, what if we asked Kerry if we could have a dance?"
"A dance? You mean like at school?"
"Sure why not? This Rec Hall is about the same size at the gym at school. And we can have a special activity this year!
"Super idea, Julie! Do you think we should invite the Camp Wilderness guys?"
"Well, I suppose we should. It would be kinda unfair not to."
"I guess so. Let's tell Kerry your idea."





Kerry thought it was a terrific idea! But she said she'd have to check with Doug if the boys could come, and the campers would have to decorate the Rec Hall.  Far out! Kerry raised her hand for quiet so she could tell the other girls.







"Hey girls, how would you like to have a dance this year?"


"YAAAAAY!"

We'd have to invite the boys, and you guys would have to decorate. Is it a deal?"


"YIPEEE!"


"WOO-HOO!"





"DYNAMITE"


"FAR OUT!"



"RIGHT ON!"

It's been a super first day, future readers! Stay tuned, because all this week, I'll be posting our what's happening at Camp Echo Hill, and next week, the boys will post about Camp Wilderness!

Until tomorrow,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time! I got to go to church camp a few times and I loved it!! Vacation Bible school was wonderful too! As a grown up, I still get excited when I'm helping out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      I love going to camp every year. Even though I miss my mom and Boomer, it's good to get away for awhile and do stuff on my own.

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie,
    Your stories always bring back so many fun memories for me. When I was a kid we camped every weekend at Shawnee State Park in Shellsburg, PA. On Saturday evenings they hosted a dance at the ranger station parking lot and the whole family would go. I danced the Locomotion, the Monster Mash, the Twist, and the Monkey. My parents would do the Jitterbug and the Jive. Do you know any of those dances?
    Your future friend,
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fawn,

      That sounds like fun. I think the only dance I know that you mentioned is the Twist. There's actually a dance called the Monster Mash? Wow, I thought it was just a song.

      Delete
    2. Oops! You're right, Julie. Monster Mash is a song. The dance I meant to say was, the Mashed Potato.

      Delete
  3. Hey Julie,
    When you see the guys at the dance, tell them I say Hi!
    Oh yeah, and CJ told me to tell you that he didn't pull any pranks at day camp. He and Richie had a great time.
    See you in the funny papers,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad C.J. was having too much fun to think abut playing any stupid jokes. I blame you for this, you big goofball. I hope he doesn't have to learn the hard way about those jokes, like YOU did!

      From Julie's Evil Twin

      P.S. I'll tell the guys you said hi.

      Delete
  4. Red Robin cabin again? That's great!
    A dance sounds super groovy! I can't wait to see the decorations. I hope no one cuts your outfit like in The Parent Trap.

    ReplyDelete