Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Ladybugs On A Horse

Hello future readers,

Today the younger campers come to hang out with us older girls. Kerry's little sister Velvet and her friend Mia are in the Ladybugs this year, and Kerry says that 2 of us (me and Jennifer) are supposed to help the little kids with horseback riding. Kerry went to go pick up Cherokee while we waited on the trail with Mia and Velvet.




"Oooh! I'm so excited Julie!", Velvet said, practically jumping up and down.  "I can't wait to meet...what's the horse's name again?"
"His name is Cherokee", I told her.
"Oh yeah."




"I hope he's friendly", Mia said "I don't want him to be like those horses you see on the rodeos on T.V. where they make the cowboys fall down."
"No, he's nothing like that", Jennifer told her. "Cherokee's a big old friendly horse that loves children."
"Oh good!", Mia smiled.




"Look, here comes Kerry and Cherokee!" I said, pointing at the trail.




"Hi girls! Here's Cherokee. I think he really wanted to come and see us. When  I picked him up from the farm, he whinnied  and nuzzled my hand. I think he knew he was coming to our camp today." She knelt down next to Mia and Velvet.
"Now you 2 remember, this is a living creature, not a toy You have to be really gentle and sweet to him. No kicking, or whipping his reins or shouting at him  We have to show Cherokee lots of love if we want to ride him. Do you understand?"
"I understand", said Mia.
"Can we ride him now?" asked Velvet.
"Not quite yet", Kerry answered. "Before anyone rides him, we have to pet him and talk nicely to him so he'll know we're his friends, OK?"
So all of us gathered around Cherokee and stroked him and talked sweetly to him.




"Hi Cherokee!" Velvet said
"Good boy, we missed you, Cherokee." Jennifer told him.
"Hi Cherokee. You gonna be good so we can ride you, huh?" said Mia
"It's good to see you again, fella", I said as I hugged him.








"OK girls' it's time to ride", Kerry said. "Velvet, you're first." She picked Velvet up and put her in the saddle. She was so little her feet couldn't even reach the stirrups.
 "Julie, I want you to take the reins and walk Cherokee to the end of the trail and back here. Remember take it nice and easy. Cherokee's old and we don't want him to tire out too quickly."
"OK Kerry". I made the kissy noise (y'know, like you're calling your dog) and said "Come on Cherokee."




I walked him down the trail nice and easy.
"This is fun", Velvet said. "But can we go faster?"
"No Velvet, you heard what your sister said. He's not a race horse. If he gets too tired, Mia won't get a turn, and that wouldn't be fair."
"Poor old Cherokee", Velvet said as she patted him. "We love you even if you can't go fast."
I got back to where Kerry was waiting with Mia.  Mia's a spunky little kid and sometimes gets too excited. As we walked up, I could hear Kerry tell her. "Now remember what I told you? Be gentle, Mia."
"I will, I promise", said Mia. Kerry lifted Velvet off and put Mia on.
"Jennifer, please do the same thing as Julie. A nice easy pace to the end of the trail and back here."
"Okie dokie", Jennifer said.
So Jennifer walked Mia and Cherokee to the end and back again.




Then it was time to say good-bye. Kerry had to take Cherokee over to the boys' camp for their riding lesson. Rats! I know it's silly, but I wish Cherokee was my horse and I could spend all the time I wanted with him. I only get to see him once a year, and I think about him sometimes. We all took turns saying good-bye.

"Good-bye, Cherokee. Thanks for letting me ride you", Velvet said first.




"You're a good boy, Cherokee.  Be good for the boys camp", Mia told him.




"See ya around, fella", Jennifer said, stroking his blaze.




I walked up and gave Cherokee a big hug. "You're the best horse ever, Cherokee. I hope I can see you again soon."




I hope people still get to ride horses in the future 'Cos if you don't, you're really missing out on one of the grooviest things in life!

Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

6 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,
    You did a great job with the younger kids. Maybe someday you will be a counselor like Kerry.
    Your future friend,
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fawn. Maybe someday.....but right now, it's hard to imagine me being 16!

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie,
    Morgan, Berkeley and Jefferson say "neeeee" which is horse language for "Hi!"
    Ha Ha!
    Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny, Viv! Did you get to go riding at Camp Falling Waters this year?

      Delete
    2. Yes, we did. Camp Falling Waters got a new horse this year. He is dark like Morgan but has a white mane. His name is Shenandoah.

      Delete
  3. Cherokee is super dooper handsome! Yes, we still ride horses in the future. Kaya and Lea were out trail riding the other day with Butterbrandy and Steps High. They had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete